Philipp lives to demo interesting technology. Having worked as a web, infrastructure, and database engineer for over ten years, Philipp is now working as a developer advocate at Elastic — the company behind the open source Elastic Stack consisting of Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats, and Logstash. Based in Vienna, Austria, he is constantly traveling Europe and beyond to speak and discuss open source software, search, databases, infrastructure, and security.
"Containers are the new ZIP format to distribute software" is a fitting description of today's development world. However, it is not always that easy and this talk highlights the development of Elastic's container strategy over time:
* Docker images: A new distribution model.
* Docker Compose: Local demos and a little more.
* Helm Chart: Going from demo to production.
* Kubernetes Operator: Full control with upgrades, scaling,...
Besides the strategy we are also discussing specific technical details and hurdles that appeared during the development. Or why the future will be a combination of Helm Chart and Operator (for now).
Open Source software is the new norm. Working with it efficiently is a common requirement but not without challenges. This talk helps inexperienced developers or those who are new to Open Source to get started and overcome common challenges:
* What is Open Source software, what are the general types of licenses, and what are the pitfalls around that.
* How to get help when you are stuck and how do you make it easy for others to help you.
* How do you contribute back — bugs, documentation, or code.
* What are common problems with communities and how to avoid them.
Text box item sample content